Professional music is a key part of Orchestras Central, as we work towards our vision that all people of the Waikato can benefit from extraordinary orchestral experiences.
We have a flexible ensemble of professional musicians, all of whom play with other orchestras in the OCT family and beyond. Repertoire varies widely and part of the focus for OCT is on how we can explore new ways of making music. Performances and collaborations have included:
- He Pu, He Puora, He Purakau – a seed, an instrument, a story with composers and musicians Horomona Horo and Jeremy Mayall
- Music in the Round in 2017, an evening of intimate music that included the New Zealand premier of Symphonic Chocolates, a work composed in Hamilton, Ontario
- Sonoscopia, which comprised the world premiere of a new composition written especially for the group by Dr Jeremy Mayall, which offered live art being produced as the musicians played. Sonoscopia was presented for a second time at the 2018 Hamilton Gardens Arts Festival
- Handel’s Messiah with the always impressive Hamilton Civic Choir
- Orchestrating Outcomes in partnership with CELFoundation.
OCT Ensemble has taken music to Kawhia – the first orchestra to visit the town in 100 years, Te Awamutu and Whitianga, and has performed pop-up taster concerts at Te Awa The Base.
OCT Ensemble is also available for hire.
Are you a professional musician based in the Waikato? Submit an expression of interest for playing in our ensemble here