Our mission is to see a vibrant orchestral scene that brings joy to communities. One of the ways we’re doing this is by bringing fantastic orchestral experiences to young people. Our annual activities include:
- Youth Orchestras Waikato – currently comprising 62 young musicians age 12-19, rehearsing year-round, and presenting two concerts. ‘YOW” also go on tour to local primary schools, hold an off-site camp, and in 2020 will ‘Beat Beethoven’ at the Cambridge Avantidrome collaborating with sportspeople in a unique performance
- TWSO Children’s Education concerts – held every year in August, these reach more than 1000 preschool and primary school-age children. Homeschooled families and children with special needs are made especially welcome. These concerts are live-streamed so that anyone in the world can take part! As well as the concert, teachers/caregivers are provided with a fun, interactive digital resource for use prior to and post-concert
- Sensing Music weekend – a chance for the public to see the inner workings of the orchestra – workshops, open rehearsals and a reprise of the Education concert. This concert includes a ‘walkthrough’ of the orchestra and a chance to talk to the musicians.
- Partnership with the NZSO.
- Kids go free! All of our concerts (except the children’s education concerts which carry a nominal charge) are free entry for under 16s and just $10 for tertiary students.
- Building the ecosystem – we offer workshops and special sessions for all musicians and encourage our young people to take part. YOW members are also invited to perform in the iconic ‘Sunset Symphony’ as well as the Education concerts
- Backstage passes – YOW members are encouraged to attend our adult orchestra concerts and have the opportunity to meet the musicians and conductor
- Education in schools programme
- Orchestra on tour