Our mission is to see a vibrant orchestral scene that brings joy to communities. One of the ways we’re doing this is by bringing transformative orchestral experiences to young people. Our annual activities include:
- Youth Orchestra Waikato – currently comprising 62 young musicians aged 12-19, rehearsing year-round and presenting two concerts. YOW also tours local primary schools, holds an off-site camp and in 2021 will take audiences around the world in the June 2021 Kaleidoscope concert. The orchestra finishes the year with a fun Christmas concert.
- TWSO Children’s Education concerts – held every year in August, these reach more than 1000 preschool and primary school-age children. Home-schooled families and children with special needs are made especially welcome. These concerts are live-streamed so anyone in the world can take part! As well as the concert, teachers/caregivers are provided with a fun, interactive digital resource for use before and after the concert
- Sensing Music weekend – a chance for the public to see the inner workings of the orchestra – workshops, open rehearsals and a reprise of the Education concert. This concert includes a ‘walk through’ of the orchestra and a chance to talk to the musicians.
- Partnership with the NZSO.
- Kids go free! All of our concerts (except the children’s education concerts, which carry a nominal charge) have free entry for under 16s and just $10 for tertiary students.
- Building the ecosystem – we offer workshops and special sessions for all musicians and encourage our young people to take part. YOW members are also invited to perform in the iconic Sunset Symphony as well as the Education concerts
- Backstage passes – YOW members are encouraged to attend our adult orchestra concerts and have the opportunity to meet the musicians and conductor.
- Education in schools programme
- Orchestra on tour